Celebrating Service!

365 Days of Service highlighted an act of service for every day of a full year!

365 encourages individuals to continue share an act of kindness observed, highlight an organization that's serving others, or recognize an individual that's doing good. Inspire good, share greatness, make a diffference - one day of service at a time. Submit your post to





Thursday, November 25, 2010

Happy Thanksgiving

Thanksgiving. For the past 10 years Thanksgiving has become my favorite holiday because in addition to the wonderful spirit of thanks and giving, I’ve always found myself lovingly embraced by a family who has taken me in as one of their own. Good food, good friends, good family.

Now turn back the clock to Thanksgiving 2008. I found myself in the busy city of Los Angeles, far away from spending Thanksgiving with my family which, for whatever reason, seemed like the only Thanksgiving plan I really wanted that year. Thankfully, with 1 week and counting I was struck by the Thanksgiving plan for 2008: serve a Thanksgiving meal in a nearby shelter. Yes! Sign me up!

I frantically started making the phone calls and sending the emails… “May I please sign up to volunteer at your shelter on Thanksgiving?”  Time after time the response I received, “Thanks for your interest but we have no more available volunteer spaces…” followed by the line I grew to despise…”You know, Thanksgiving isn’t the only opportunity to volunteer…”  Yes, yes, I understand that Thanksgiving is not the only opportunity to volunteer. Don’t you know that I’m not the person that only volunteers on Thanksgiving but it happens that this year in particular I really want to volunteer on Thanksgiving? Please?

Needless to say, I was too late. No one would take me in. All I wanted to do was serve meals to those who would receive them on Thanksgiving. While grateful that so many organizations were not in need of volunteers this Thanksgiving, I couldn’t help but feel like I wanted to be a part of something and there was no room for me.

If shelters won’t have me, then I’ll have to do it on my own.

Enter Plan B. If I’m not able to volunteer at a shelter then I’ll cook up meals and deliver them myself.  A wonderful plan that I instantly loved! On the menu, a classic Hawaiian-style meal: shoyu chicken, rice, potato mac salad.  If I’m going to do this, I want to add my own flavor. And don’t forget the bottle of water and the chocolate-haupia dessert on the side. Dee-lish! My lovely Pelham place apartment became kitchen extraordinaire for 8 hours. And, luckily, half-way through, another LA transplant friend, Ian, came over to help the cause. Together we cooked and crafted 30 meals to deliver. Load the car, let’s go!

We drove the streets of Santa Monica and walked the pier. If we saw someone who might want a meal we stopped to say hello and offer them a Thanksgiving dinner. Many accepted with thanks. “Thank you,” they said, “Can I keep the Tupperware?” or “May I have an extra bottle of water?” or “I’ve eaten today but may I save it for tomorrow?” and all were followed by a “Happy Thanksgiving.” One and all, Happy Thanksgiving.

Of all the giving, what struck me most about this experience was that some people said “no.” What an opportunity. The opportunity to say, “No, thank you.” I wondered what that might feel like to be able to say, “No, thank you. I’ve eaten today,” or just plain, “no.” Does that opportunity present itself a lot… to be able to refuse what someone might want to offer to help? What a humbling experience.

That was Thanksgiving 2008, when the tradition where I gather with friends to “cook and deliver” was born. And, I hope that this example embodies what I hope for this blog… being called to serve, seeking out volunteer opportunities, creating acts of service when the opportunity presents itself, and continuing the tradition. And, similar to that Thanksgiving – I hope this humble attempt turns out to be an experience greater than I could imagine.   

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!

3 comments:

  1. Wow - yet again you are an inspiration!
    I remember 2008 very clearly. Remember your initial disapointment. Remember your cooking the "take out" dinners. Remember my fear of your safety, yet always knowing that my most important job in life is to not limit yours.
    Happy Thanksgiving to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. April, I am so excited about this blog! Reading this entry just reminded me of where my priorities should be and what really brings joy in this life...May your heart for service and creative mind continue to inspire those around you :) Love, Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hooray for 365 days of service! I can't wait to see more posts.

    ReplyDelete