Celebrating Service!

365 Days of Service highlighted an act of service for every day of a full year!

365 encourages individuals to continue share an act of kindness observed, highlight an organization that's serving others, or recognize an individual that's doing good. Inspire good, share greatness, make a diffference - one day of service at a time. Submit your post to





Friday, April 8, 2011

Do you need a stamp?


Today I visited the post office, one of my favorite places.

As usual, there was a line. Not a favorite part about it. But because I was mailing a special package Overnight Express Mail, I wanted to be sure I did everything correctly and chose to stand in the line rather hope it works via automated machine. 

Glad I waited in the 20-minute line. Witness to this...

The woman two people in front of me noticed that the man in front of her was solely waiting in line for a single stamp to mail a letter. "Do you need a stamp?" she asked. "Yes," he responded. "Well here you go," she said and handed him a stamp right out of her purse. He reached for his pocket to repay her and she said, "don't worry about it." He thanked her, left the line, placed his letter in the outgoing mail box and continued on with his day. 

A kind stranger in line freed this man from the line and helped us all get one person closer to the front. 

Then, as she was mailing her package, I heard her say this to the postal worker, "Tomorrow is my son's birthday. I'm overnighting him cookies. Last year I made him these cookies and he said, 'mom, these would be better with butterscotch in them.' So this year he's getting butterscotch scotties." 

Sa-weet! Not only is she a sweet woman who was so kind to offer the man in front of her a stamp and line freedom, but she's also a mother who overnight mails her son his favorite cookies!

No comments:

Post a Comment