Celebrating Service!

365 Days of Service highlighted an act of service for every day of a full year!

365 encourages individuals to continue share an act of kindness observed, highlight an organization that's serving others, or recognize an individual that's doing good. Inspire good, share greatness, make a diffference - one day of service at a time. Submit your post to





Friday, July 1, 2011

Boot Camp Buddy - Service Highlight!

By kPod, 365 Days of Service, Sacramento/Michigan Chapter

A few weeks ago, I signed up for a "Boot Camp" class.  A friend from my volleyball team had taken it the session before, and from knowing her, I assessed us to be in similar physical condition... fit enough to play sports like volleyball, but not exactly "top athlete" material.  She said it was tough, she was sore, but she survived.  So, I signed up for the class which is 8 weeks, twice a week.  Which means, I have to drag myself to this class 16 times.  At the first class, I caught my eye on two girls who I judged to be "similar" to myself.  Unfortunately, I haven't seen those two girls since, and instead I'm in a class of people who are not only much more athletic, but most of them have already done this class for one round through...


So, today (class #4... 12 more to go!), we were running "to the first stop sign and back", twice.  Running is REALLY the thing that gets me.  My legs are short, and I just plain hate running, unless there's a bear chasing me. And I'm slow.  On lap #2, I'm halfway TO the stop sign, passing most of the group on their way BACK.  And suddenly, one girl turns around, and joins me.  "I hate running alone!" she said, as she jogged along side me.  "I hate running!" I answered back.  And she introduced herself.  I wish I remembered her name, but I was focused on continuing to move one foot in front of the other at a "slow jog" pace.  She finished out the remainder of the lap with me, and I thanked her again for joining me!  What made it even better is that usually, I lapse into a "walk" somewhere along the way, at least briefly.  With my cheerful running buddy by my side, I finished the whole two laps without a single pause.  Thank you, new friend, for motivating me to keep on moving!

No comments:

Post a Comment