Celebrating Service!

365 Days of Service highlighted an act of service for every day of a full year!

365 encourages individuals to continue share an act of kindness observed, highlight an organization that's serving others, or recognize an individual that's doing good. Inspire good, share greatness, make a diffference - one day of service at a time. Submit your post to





Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Forever Sharp

While doing my weekly shopping recently, I heard an announcement overhead about "receive a free knife at the produce department." Sure, I could use a new knife.

Of course, there was a catch.

I just had to watch a 5 minute presentation about the "Forever Sharp" knives.

Okay, for a free knife, I'll stay. No rush on a day off. And I could use a new knife.

So the woman presenting told me all of the wonderful things about the Forever Sharp. It stays sharp forever, she says over and over. She demonstrates how she cuts through wood, cuts a hammer. No kidding. Then she says, "see, still sharp."

Now, today (infomercial in person) she says, you can get not one, but TWO Forever Sharp knives for $40. Then, she continues, and we'll give you a free 3rd Forever Sharp knife so you can give it to a friend. You like that offer? How about a set of Forever Sharp steak knives to go along with it, plus 2 juicers. All for $40. That adds up to $150 worth of knives for just $40!

The best part? She asks, "Does anyone here own a Forever Sharp knife?"

"I do. I love it!" the woman right next to me says.

Now this woman practically sold the knife to me. Throughout the presentation she seconded the presenters demonstration. She said, "I don't even use my knife in the kitchen. I keep it outside. I use it to cut the hose!" 

At the end of the presentation, I decide I should invest the $40 in a set of lots of knives that I'll never have to sharpen again.

And I ask the woman next to me who is a firm believer in this product, "So this is a really good set of knives, right?"

"Oh yes, she says. I'm getting this set as a wedding present for someone."

Sold.

Now here's the real question. I told this Forever Sharp story to two friends (only two) and the first question both of them asked me, "Was this woman a plant? She was a plant," they told me. 

I didn't think so. But maybe she was. So was this nice woman an act of service, as I thought? Or was she an act of service to the Forever Sharp company.

You decide. 

2 comments:

  1. I think it was a plant but I totally would understand if you would think she wasn't. And I know you and you trust people and I would defiantly see you believing her

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally encountered the same pitch today in Walmart, I totally encountered an older lady who had the same story as yours, buying more, talked about loving hers, and I totally walked away with a box... and now, I want to return it. HA! I trust people, too. Sometimes, to a fault!

    Do you still have your knives?! Do you use them? Hhaeh :D

    ReplyDelete