Celebrating Service!

365 Days of Service highlighted an act of service for every day of a full year!

365 encourages individuals to continue share an act of kindness observed, highlight an organization that's serving others, or recognize an individual that's doing good. Inspire good, share greatness, make a diffference - one day of service at a time. Submit your post to





Friday, March 4, 2011

Equal Partners - Service Highlight!

By Sarah Hunt, 365 Days of Service, Nashville Division

I started a new job in October of last year.  The position is a new role for me in a specialty that is new to me.  So as my boss is showing me around a new office, a new hospital, and introducing me to all sorts of new people--he is also teaching me a surgical specialty and literally walking me through HOW to do my job.  His patience is remarkable.  He never tires of my questions, and he never tires of needing to repeat himself.  What makes the biggest difference and what  I think is truly a service, is that he always treats me as his equal partner, his coworker.  To him, I don't work for him, I work with him.  (Even though clearly, we are not at the same functional level when it comes to our job!).  This in turn has taught me so much about how to work with all the other staff at my new job.  Work is work, and we all have to learn the best ways to work with all types of people.  Really thinking about and being deliberate in the ways that we work with others, no matter what position they hold, is truly a daily service. 

No comments:

Post a Comment