Celebrating Service!

365 Days of Service highlighted an act of service for every day of a full year!

365 encourages individuals to continue share an act of kindness observed, highlight an organization that's serving others, or recognize an individual that's doing good. Inspire good, share greatness, make a diffference - one day of service at a time. Submit your post to





Saturday, March 5, 2011

Honoring a Veteran - Service Highlight!

By Alycia Anderson, 365 Days of Service, Kailua Chapter

On Saturday January 22, 2011, while I was on the (USS Arizona) Memorial when an older man in his old World War II army uniform walked in. On that particular morning, I was flying American flags over the Memorial that were requested by active military men and women. To assist me, I usually ask kids or noticeable veterans or anyone who really looks interested in the flag that I am holding. When I saw this vet, I knew I would ask him to help me. He was very enthusiastic when I asked and raised the flag with up the very, very tall pole. We folded the flag in a nice triangle while most people, including his wife of 60 years and friends, took photos of us. I thanked him, we shook hands, and I put the flag away and continued with my duties as a park ranger of directing people and answering questions. Right before he got on the boat, the vet had asked if he could keep the flag that he flew. I felt really bad because I could tell he really wanted it, but I told him that it belonged to someone else and I couldn’t give it to him. But I said that he could go to our bookstore where they had flags that had already been flown over the Memorial and come back here and I would help him fly it again. He said ok and he was off on the boat.

A couple hours had past and I kinda forgot about him, but the army vet came off the boat and I said ok! You can wait by the flag pole and I’ll be there in a few minutes.

When I arrived at the pole, he was standing there with his flag in hand and posing for pictures with a number of young girls who wanted their picture with a man in uniform J. I interrupted the pictures because we only had a little time before the next group of visitors arrived. We raised his flag to the very top, saluted the flag and folded his flag once again while getting our pictures taken.

I was able to ride back on the boat with him and talk to him a little of his time in the army during the war (he had fought in the Battle of the Bulge and a number of other big battles in Europe). He said that he was in Hawaii with his wife for their 60th wedding anniversary. Their friend/travel agent was also their traveling companion. Back at the Visitor Center, we say our goodbyes with a hug and I continued with the rest of my day. I retell this story to my family because I thought it was really awesome to have helped someone in a new way.

A few days later, on Tuesday when I worked, a few minutes after we opened our doors at 7, the phone rang and as closest to it, I answered. The man on the other end was the vet calling back to speak specifically to me! He said that he was on Maui in a time share and enjoyed his time on his vacation. He wanted to ask if I could send a picture of myself and sign it. I said of course. And I took down his address. We continued to talk for a bit more and he said that what I did meant a lot to him, that it was one of his most important moments in his life. I was awestruck. This little thing I did meant so much for this man, where it started with me wanting help to raise our American flag.

I did send John my photo with my signature but also included a letter telling more about myself with my email and mailing address. A few days later, I got an email from John saying he got my letter and a little about himself. It’s nice that he emailed me back and I thought that would be the end of it.

But a few days after that I get another email:

Hi Alycia, My name is Tricia. You were on duty the day my parents visited the Arizona while they were on vacation in Hawaii. (They are now home in Ohio with a couple feet of snow and temperature less then 10!) They were celebrating their 60th wedding anniversary. My father had worn a uniform and you asked him to assist you in raising the flag. I want you to know how much that meant to him. They called home and were anxious to share this with everyone. Not only did you make his visit special but you also took the time to send him a letter and your picture. He shared that letter with me, as well as the rest of the family, and I just wanted to thank you for caring enough to do that. It truly made his day! There is so much troubling news in the world on a daily basis, but it is so good to see the kindness that also exists! I am glad to know you have found the vocation you want to pursue and wish you the best as you continue your education. It seems to me that you will be great at it, given the caring way in which you treated my parents! So again, thank you and good luck! Tricia

With this I started to tear up. The effect I had on John and how he shared it with his family and having Tricia tell me, really made me feel that I am doing the right thing because sometimes, I never know. It’s always good to tell people if they are doing good rather than always criticizing (which I feel is the only way some people communicate sometimes).

No comments:

Post a Comment