Celebrating Service!

365 Days of Service highlighted an act of service for every day of a full year!

365 encourages individuals to continue share an act of kindness observed, highlight an organization that's serving others, or recognize an individual that's doing good. Inspire good, share greatness, make a diffference - one day of service at a time. Submit your post to





Monday, October 17, 2011

Share a run and save me from a snake

Who has the right of way? Snake or me?

This is when he started to get mad.
I've been very fortunate that a co-worker of mine, Mirla, has kindly offered to take me for runs around the lovely area of Lake Hughes. Over 4 years of being a part-time Lake Hughes resident, I've hardly ever ventured outside of the road in and road right out. And "beautiful" wouldn't have been far down the list of accurate adjectives to describe this small town. But with the encouragement of Mirla, I've ventured out into the Lake Hughes mountains and discovered the beauty of the mountains surrounding me!

For the past couple of weeks Mirla has invited me to go running. She takes me on a different trail every time and sticks with me while we run. We go at a comfortable pace for both of us and while we get a very good workout, her priority is always making sure that I'm comfortable and having a good run. She let's me choose which way we should go, points out different sights to see, including taking me for runs on the Pacific Crest Trail.

And, to top it off, she also saves me from snakes (see above). On our run last Thursday we came across this creature. When we see snakes at camp the next question is, "Does it have a maraca?" Yes, this one did. A rattlesnake, and not just any rattlesnake, a big one! Of course, Mirla among the top of the most awesome human beings on the planet proceeded to scare this rattlesnake (measuring at least 2.5 feet long!). He slithered into the bush and out of our path. Mirla asked us if we wanted to turn around and run a different way or continue on our path. My thought? With Mirla with me, I can do anything! She kept an eye on the snake (who kept his eye on us!) and the 3 others of us running that afternoon safely passed. We continued on for a great run and didn't see our not-so-friendly snake again.

Running with Mirla is fun for many reasons:
  1. It's good for our health!
  2. It stops me from working and gets me out running
  3. It's a good time to chat and get to know one another better
  4. Mirla is funny and makes runs fun
  5. It's a good way to see more surrounding areas and it's beauty
  6. Mirla is a badass who saves us from snakes
Writer's note: Badass is in the dictionary, by the way, so I thought that deemed it an appropriate word for blog.  

No comments:

Post a Comment