Celebrating Service!

365 Days of Service highlighted an act of service for every day of a full year!

365 encourages individuals to continue share an act of kindness observed, highlight an organization that's serving others, or recognize an individual that's doing good. Inspire good, share greatness, make a diffference - one day of service at a time. Submit your post to





Sunday, October 30, 2011

Shortbread Cookies


One of the highlights every year - for about the past 20 - is shortbread cookie fundraiser time. I remember days of waking up very eary in the morning to go to the Kalama School cafeteria to mix up 100 cups of flour with 100 cups of butter & other ingredients to make these delicious treats. Ten cookies per bag, iron the bag closed, and take them to the streets. Soccer fundraisers, band fundraisers, lots of good reasons to enjoy shortbread cookies.

And the reason I still look forward to shortbread cookie time is because my father, Clyde, without fail, sends me packages of cookies every year. Sweet, right?! I never "expect" the cookies to come, I never hear about it being shortbread cookie time. Every fall they simply arrive at my doorstep as a little piece of home, sent with a lot of love, for me to enjoy.

Most of the time, I enjoy it all by myself. There are few things in life that I won't share with anyone out of pure selfishness. Shortbread cookies from the fundraiser are one of them. They bring such happiness and I appreciate that my good dad sends them just for me! Trust me, he sends me enough to share probably with intentions for me to share. But I'm a big girl and I can make these decisions not to share on my own. 

Thanks, Dad, for always sending me a lot of love, nicely packaged in the form of shortbread cookies! 

2 comments:

  1. What a great Dad!!! I remember all of the different types of goodies your family would ship up here. And, I had no idea you actually used to help make the cookies. Delish!

    ReplyDelete