Celebrating Service!

365 Days of Service highlighted an act of service for every day of a full year!

365 encourages individuals to continue share an act of kindness observed, highlight an organization that's serving others, or recognize an individual that's doing good. Inspire good, share greatness, make a diffference - one day of service at a time. Submit your post to





Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Lessons Learned in High School


Please join me for a quick 365 segment on King Kekaulike High School in Upcountry, Maui.

While I may not remember a single problem-solving skill from my trigonometry class nor all of the amazing facts of history I tried my best to absorb daily, the lessons learned in high school were much more far reaching than what my report card would measure.   

I remember sitting on the floor of my room with books open, flashcards spread out, notes all over the floor - trying and trying to memorize (and understand, of course) the process of ATP, ADP, and chemical energy and feeling so discouraged because it was a foreign language to me and I was sure I'd never get it. And, I didn't really see why I really needed to get it anyway. I admit, there are a lot of lessons in school that I really didn't think I needed to learn, and through as many of my adults years as I have lived (a relatively limited amount) I've proven myself right. I don't think about equations in Alegbra II or the physics of anything.

While I don't remember how to use my graphing calculator and I don't consider it a loss in my life, here's what I do remember.

I remember how frustrated I was when I was sure I'd never get what on earth adenosine triphosphate was and how it worked - and I remember more vividly when I finally turned the ATP corner and understood how the process worked, what that meant, and most importantly, how proud of myself I was for learning it. And, I remember my science teacher congratulating me for doing well on the test and persevering to understand the material.  

I remember always trying to understand every single detail of US History and doing my best to put on the facade that I knew what was going on just to keep up with my classmates. Then I remember my teacher acknowledging that she knew I was trying my best - and that even if my standardized test score didn't measure up to everyone else, I'd given it my all and that was plenty to be proud of.

I remember my English teacher who was simply a good teacher that taught the material well. In the process she validated my work and challenged me to be better. Her class wasn't easy but I preferred it that way. I knew I had to work hard to earn my grades.

I remember giving up in band and feeling at a loss because it was a path I was "supposed" to take. Then I remember a teacher who introduced me to video production and fostered an opportunity for me to learn something different. Along the way I discovered a new skill, a hobby, something I enjoyed... and I could use this to a greater good creating video memories for the entire school. It wasn't a class written in the registrar's catalog, but because a teacher took the time to create an opportunity for a student, it not only became a growing interest of mine - but it taught me that a change in course doesn't mean that you're not on the right track.

While I might not remember a good amount of the subject lessons in high school I do know that what learned proved to be the foundation that leads me to success in life.  Hard work pays off. If you persevere and keep trying you will understand. Success isn't measured on what a standardized test tells you, success is individual. Going off your "expected path" doesn't mean you're going the wrong way, new opportunities will come.

Most importantly I know that I didn't learn a single one of these valuable lessons from a textbook or even my graphing calculator. Thanks to my teachers who taught subjects, used the material as a vehicle for greater life-learning, and invested in students much more than their students' grades on a report card.

No comments:

Post a Comment