Celebrating Service!

365 Days of Service highlighted an act of service for every day of a full year!

365 encourages individuals to continue share an act of kindness observed, highlight an organization that's serving others, or recognize an individual that's doing good. Inspire good, share greatness, make a diffference - one day of service at a time. Submit your post to





Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Big Sister, 4 Years Strong

By Gracie Deisler, 365 Days of Service, Thousand Oaks Chapter

Four years ago I decided that since I spend my working hours with older adults, I should do something to spend time with people younger too.  I got involved with Big Brothers/Big Sisters and I was paired with Angel, an 11-year-old girl.  Four years later (her 15th birthday happened two weeks ago) we are still meeting, maybe not as regularly as we did when she was younger, but at least a few times per month!  We seem to text more than talk on the phone these days too!  It wasn't easy to build a relationship with her and still some days seem like a struggle to get her to open up.  But it has been a very rewarding experience...both for her and for me.  I  hope to continue to be in her life for many more years.  Next week she gets her wisdom teeth out so we have a date for ice cream and a movie!

No comments:

Post a Comment