Celebrating Service!

365 Days of Service highlighted an act of service for every day of a full year!

365 encourages individuals to continue share an act of kindness observed, highlight an organization that's serving others, or recognize an individual that's doing good. Inspire good, share greatness, make a diffference - one day of service at a time. Submit your post to





Thursday, December 2, 2010

Veronica, my local Ralphs Courtesy Clerk


Last weekend, with the daunting task of deep cleaning the carpets in my apartment, I stopped in to my local Ralphs to rent the Rug Doctor. Patiently waiting service, I was pleasantly greeted by Veronica, my local Ralphs Courtesy Clerk.

Veronica has a quieter but very friendly demeanor, while also amicable to make light of funny situations, like when she asked me for my ID and driver's license. We both laughed about it, acknowledged the early morning hour and continued on.

As she filled out the paperwork, she mentioned that I'd rent the Doctor for 24 hours. At that time I realized I inadvertantly signed myself up for an early morning tomorrow, having to return the Rug by 9 am. Going for an early run this morning didn't really put me in good shape for a sleep-in tomorrow! "I can put it for 9 pm," said Veronica. Music to my ears, she saved my Sunday. 

We continued on to retrieve the machine and in the process took a few minutes to chat. She asked if I black Friday shopped, which I admit to her (but not everyone!), I did. She did as well, mentioning that Express had a 40% off the entire store before noon. "I know," I responded, "I went there too. Their jeans are the best." "I love Express," she said. Me too.

We returned to the customer service area and finalized the paperwork. Veronica kindly directed me to the check-out line where someone would take over. I thanked her for her time and continued on.

Here's a little more of what I learned about Veronica: she's a high school senior, busy with schoolwork and works every weekend at Ralphs. She keeps a busy schedule and mentioned that when she leaves work today she'll face her Psychology paper due next week. After graduating she aspires to move to Switzerland to be closer to loved ones.

She's a hard worker doing a really fantastic job. And, while I generally don't engage in conversation with others at the supermarket, today I was thankful I did. Thanks to Veronica, that is, who reminds me to always be friendly and serve others with a smile and good-nature.

And, I will return the Rug Doctor as a happy, well-rested Ralphs customer.

Thanks, Veronica!

No comments:

Post a Comment