Celebrating Service!

365 Days of Service highlighted an act of service for every day of a full year!

365 encourages individuals to continue share an act of kindness observed, highlight an organization that's serving others, or recognize an individual that's doing good. Inspire good, share greatness, make a diffference - one day of service at a time. Submit your post to





Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Light Up the Neighborhood


"When the sun goes down over the Santa Monica Boulevard..." These almost Sheryl Crow lyrics meant a lot more to me when I moved right off of SM Blvd a handful of years ago. Aside of the many benefits of living along this infamous street comes living near the Los Angeles Temple, a Mormon temple that sits on 13 acres of land, stands 257 feet high, and was the largest temple of the Church when constructed. Quite a ladmark!

This fall I visited the LA Temple on my "neighborhood day," a day I set aside to enjoy the sites in walking distance from my humble abode. I see this temple literally every single day but it was this visit really opened my eyes! The LA Temple has a Visitors' Center, open 9 am - 9 pm daily where you can learn more about the Church and it's foundation and construction. In addition, the temple features a gargantuan lawn and during this visit I walked the lawn, enjoyed this new found view, and learned that the lawn is open to anyone and everyone everyday! How welcoming!

And, in addition to these great services the LA Temple provides neighbors year-round, every Christmastime they cover their gigantic lawn and surrounding foilage with thousands of holiday lights. Another reason to celebrate the season! While these pictures don't do the temple justice, trust me, it is a real sight to see and brings a smile to my face every evening... when the sun goes down over Santa Monica Boulevard.



1 comment: