Celebrating Service!

365 Days of Service highlighted an act of service for every day of a full year!

365 encourages individuals to continue share an act of kindness observed, highlight an organization that's serving others, or recognize an individual that's doing good. Inspire good, share greatness, make a diffference - one day of service at a time. Submit your post to





Thursday, January 13, 2011

Another Warm Parking Lot Story

By Jan Sakuma, 365 Days of Service, HI Region

The older woman collecting shopping carts story brought back a warm memory for me. It was from a not so happy time. We were walking in a church parking lot, on the way to my father's funeral. My grandmother, who was about 87 at the time, was walking slowly to the church. Also walking thru the parking lot was an equally elderly female.  My grandmother hurried, as any 87 year old is capable of, to assist. She gently placed her arm under the arm of the other person, and supported her, helping her balance as they walked. My grandmother at the time was possibly 95 lbs dripping wet. She had a slight curl to her upper body, and often struggled with lower back pain. None of this was an issue at the time. Watching from behind, this picture of two strangers (as my grandmother did not live on our island) walking slowly arm in arm was one I would not forget.

No comments:

Post a Comment