Celebrating Service!

365 Days of Service highlighted an act of service for every day of a full year!

365 encourages individuals to continue share an act of kindness observed, highlight an organization that's serving others, or recognize an individual that's doing good. Inspire good, share greatness, make a diffference - one day of service at a time. Submit your post to





Monday, January 3, 2011

Invite a friend to an activity you enjoy

Garrett, Lynn, Cade, and Kendyll

These are my good friends, Lynn and Garrett, and their kids, Cade and Kendyll. Hi Cade, hi Kendyll!

Lynn has been a loved friend since the 4th grade when we were joined together as Dandy Bears (our wonderful 4-H Club!). Through all these years Lynn has a been a solid friend - whether supporting me through tough life times or simply enjoying yogurt/cucumber homemade spa experiements together - Lynn is the comfort of a long-time friend.

Taking advantage of the beautiful Maui life, Lynn and Garrett have recently taken up Stand Up Paddling (SUP). Lynn says they get out as much as possible, making good use of their boards going weekly during the summer and going as often as they can since the school year started. 

Stand Up Paddling has been something I've been wanting to try and Lynn has always invited me to join. Today was our day - what a great way to start the new year!

In addition to simply being really fun and enjoyable, I loved stand up paddling with Lynn and Garrett today for many reasons. When we were on the water Lynn and I got to catch up on life a bit and I couldn't ask for a better environment to share time with a friend other than out in the calm, open ocean! Lynn was also a great teacher. Well, she's a great teacher by profession too, and today she was a great friend-teacher. All the tips she gave me before we went out really helped me feel comfortable and confident out in the water. She put me first many times - pushing me out at the start all the way until we were coming back on shore when she rode slightly behind me so she could tell me when the waves were coming. In addition to teaching me, Lynn and Garrett taught my two cousins, Erica and Alycia, who joined us this morning. It was their first time too! On top of all of this, what I enjoyed most of all is that SUP is something Lynn and Garrett have really enjoyed learning and doing and by taking me out today it was a great way to share in an activity they enjoy. That is really fun.

Thanks to Lynn and Garrett and thanks to their family, Cade, Kendyll, Lisa, Brent, and Mrs. Kajihara for letting me, Eric, and Leesh spend a wonderful morning with you! And, also thanks to the sunshine, calm waters, and all of the sea turtles that surrounded us when we were out. 

I always enjoy doing any activity with friends, and I must say, I really feed off the wonderful energy created when spending time with a friend doing an activity they enjoy.  


Leesh gets ready to go out

I make my way out - Lynn is right beside me!

Eric smiling after a great ride!


No comments:

Post a Comment