Celebrating Service!

365 Days of Service highlighted an act of service for every day of a full year!

365 encourages individuals to continue share an act of kindness observed, highlight an organization that's serving others, or recognize an individual that's doing good. Inspire good, share greatness, make a diffference - one day of service at a time. Submit your post to





Saturday, January 15, 2011

Pet Sit for A Friend

This is Buddy, my officemate! Buddy is a good little fish and is doing just swimmingly.

One fact about a pet - they bring along some responsibility! They require and deserve food, care, and human interaction. Thus when I was planning my trip home for nearly 2 weeks I wasn't so sure where that would leave my good pal Buddy.

I thought of a few ideas only to have run into obstacles that would only burden the temporary caregiver. A colleague would be in the office about every other day, conveniently similar to Buddy's feeding schedule. Then we realized that she planned on switching a day which would leave Buddy without food for too long. I decided asking my apartmentmate to drop a few pellets in for Buddy was the best option even though wasn't sure fish responsibility would be well-received. Then, straight from the fish heavens comes colleague Chris.

CB, as I refer to him, is well-familiar with Buddy and is very friendly to my two-finned friend anytime he comes into the office. CB also has twin boys, yes that means two boys, who are a year and a half old. When I casually talked to another co-worker of ours about my Buddy plan, CB chimed in and said that he and the Butler boys could fish-sit. (enter music: Hallelujah!)

I was relieved. Buddy would be well-cared for while I was away and I'm sure he'd have a lot of fun with those Butler boys!

I gave CB the over-protective caregiver email that included Buddy's feeding and water change schedule, transport information, and Buddy's likes and dislikes especially because Buddy was to celebrate his 1-year birthday while I was away! After sending all of this I quickly remembered that CB was father to two 18-month old boys who are alive and well... Buddy would be just fine.

And, as I expected, Buddy had a wonderful time at the Butler household. Buddy hasn't stopped raving about his two weeks of "freedom and fun" as he says. Hmmmm... 

And when I asked CB to share a story of Buddy's adventures he said, "Well, I'll share what can be shared..."

I might never know what happend but I know Buddy had a great time with the Butler's. 365 Days of Service gives them a great big flip-of-the-fin for their pet-sitting services!


P.S. When I asked about how they celebrated Buddy's first birthday, CB told me they put in a floating candle to celebrate! So fun for Buddy!

No comments:

Post a Comment