Celebrating Service!

365 Days of Service highlighted an act of service for every day of a full year!

365 encourages individuals to continue share an act of kindness observed, highlight an organization that's serving others, or recognize an individual that's doing good. Inspire good, share greatness, make a diffference - one day of service at a time. Submit your post to





Saturday, January 1, 2011

Wacky Wednesday

By Janice Sakuma, 365 Days of Service, Kula Chapter

Wacky Wednesday.

That is the name of a story my grandaughter loves. We have read it more than 50 times (I kid you not!) and each time she loves looking for wacky things. A portrait of George Washington, for example, labeled Abraham Lincoln. (While she does recognize O - BA - MA from watching the many political rallies, inaugarations and celebrations as a 2 year old, her only point of reference to George Washington is that we have pointed out that wacky label in the past.) Or a worm chasing a bird. Or a bunch of bananas growing on an apple tree.


Last Wednesday, was Wacky for me.

On Tuesday, the evening before, anticipating a hectic day including providing supervisory visits for staff, visits with patients AND a bed delivery, I phoned our blood bank to ask if my early Wednesday appt. could be changed to Friday, 12/24th, Christmas eve. While it was a last minute change, I was banking my request on knowledge that the Blood Bank was actively recruiting donors for that day. The kind person said "Sure" and rebooked for a not quite as early time on Friday.

On Wednesday, at 8:15, an employee from the delivery service called to say that the new bed we had scheduled for delivery was not available. The delivery service called. Not the store that sold us the bed. The delivery service. Being very sensitive to not wanting to give grief to the messenger (it's the holiday season!), I thanked him kindly for the information and told him that the store would update him on our plans.

Less than 10 minutes later, while still trying to process the information of the unavailable bed, the Blood Bank called. "We were just-wondering if you would still be able to donate blood..." Well, tho the appt. was changed, I still appeared to  be a "no-show." Hmmm, my morning just opened up a bit - would they prefer I come "right now?" Yes please was the reply, so off I went to donate blood.

To those familiar with the process, I pride myself in having a rather quick donating time. Once they stick me, usually in about 10 minutes, the bag is full of blood and I happily continue on to a donut and beverage.  10 minutes became 15 became 20. Several people glanced my way, but no one seemed concerned. 20 minutes later, a tech came back and tried to reposition the catheter. Apparently, my blood flow had stopped. They thanked me for the effort, and informed me that because the quantity of the blood was less than a full bag, they would not be able to process and dispense my donation to a needy patient.

Well, to perk myself up, I went to pick up another present that had been ordered for delivery the day before. We're sorry, they said ... try back tomorrow.. we hope it will be in by then!

Having left that shop, I realized that I no longer was carrying my umbrella. Back tracked my steps. Felt a sense of relief when the local security person said "I just saw it!" and walked me back to the location I felt it was left at, only to come up empty handed.

So -
NO bed delivery.
NO blood.
NO Christmas gift.
LOST umbrella

And all of this occured before lunch!  AAArrrgh! What a Wacky Wednesday! I should just go back to bed!

At the end of the day, I picked my husband up from the airport, and recanted my day as if I hadn't been sending text messages to him all day as the events unfolded. I stopped, after using up my words, and asked. "How was your day honey?"

"I was hit by lightning ..." he said. Well technically the airplane he was in was hit. Modern technology and an experienced crew allowed for a safe completion of his flight. Anxious moments however were plenty. Wow. He wins. His day was worse! My day consisted of only minor inconveniences and a bruised ego.

So the story continues  "Don't be sorry," ... "It's that kind of a day. But be glad! Wacky Wednesday will soon go away!"

The important things in life is the health, safety and happiness of our family and friends.

Happy New Year to you and yours!

No comments:

Post a Comment