Celebrating Service!

365 Days of Service highlighted an act of service for every day of a full year!

365 encourages individuals to continue share an act of kindness observed, highlight an organization that's serving others, or recognize an individual that's doing good. Inspire good, share greatness, make a diffference - one day of service at a time. Submit your post to





Thursday, January 20, 2011

Put some change in a stranger's meter

Parking meters, ugh.

No joke, at the start of last year I budgeted $400 for "parking tickets and other violations," as the line item read. Optimistic, no. Realistic, yes. I thought that if I properly budgeted for these in advance I'd be less disappointed when I received a ticket. Instead of being upset I'd say to myself, "I budgeted for this." No need for me to get all huffy about it.

Parking meters are a reality in nearly every city and LA is no exception. I keep a good $10 worth of quarters in a compartment of my car to honor these machines.

One of my least favorite sights in LA, the "parking services" little golf cart and the attendant who strolls through parking lots looking for those blinking "expired" lights.

So here's an idea: when you see a parking attendant in the parking lot about to write-up a ticket that is sure to be a wrench in someones day, slip a quarter into the meter.

Buy someone some time, literally. A quarter, a dime, a nickel - anything will help.

No comments:

Post a Comment