Celebrating Service!

365 Days of Service highlighted an act of service for every day of a full year!

365 encourages individuals to continue share an act of kindness observed, highlight an organization that's serving others, or recognize an individual that's doing good. Inspire good, share greatness, make a diffference - one day of service at a time. Submit your post to





Friday, January 7, 2011

A good pilot, part 2


Yup, me in the Captain's seat in the flight deck!
Thanks for tuning back in for part 2 of "A good pilot."

This is your captain here... hahaha. Funny, and partially true.

So, yesterday I told you about my good pilots who calmed the outside air as we flew across the Pacific. Today, I tell you about the final part of our journey.

We landed safely at LAX at 9:45 pm. Our Captain comes on the overhead once again, thanks us for flying with Delta. Then he says this, "This ends our 10-day journey around the world. For the past 10 days we've basically flown around the world, stopped in Asia for a bit...and we'd like to invite you into the flight deck tonight. If you'd like to come, have your camera ready and we'll take a picture of you in the cockpit."

Really?! I knew they were good pilots from the experience during the flight but they even go ahead to invite any interested passenger in this huge 767 to join them in the flight deck and take some pictures? Wow!

In the spirit of 365, recognizing people being nice to others, I was excited to take advantage of this opportunity the Captain just presented me.

I got to the front of the plane and was surprised that the line wasn't long at all! I waited just a minute then was invited in. There was already another passenger sitting in the Captain's seat. The co-pilot, Pilot Fred, was sitting beside him and they were clearly talking aviation. From the conversation I gathered that this gentleman was in flight school and soaking up this opportunity to receive the advice from a true pilot. And Pilot Fred was happy to share.

In a short break of their conversation, I gently said hello and that I didn't want to interrupt but just wanted to get a picture of the flight deck. Then, this...

Pilot Fred: Sure. Pause. Are you guys together?

Gentleman in Captain's seat and April look at each other

April: (waving her hand as to say "no" non-verbally) Oh no, I just came in to get a picture.

Pilot Fred with a smile: Well would you like to be? I could marry you right here in the flight deck.

REALLY?! Not only did I appreciate my flight pilots because of their smooth navigation of a turbulent airway, but then he continues to offer me marriage?! Awesome!

Don't hold your breath, the kind gentleman and I didn't wed tonight. I mean, I hardly even knew him and he's still in flight school.

Wedding or not, it didn't take away from the fact that this quickly became one of the greatest flights I've ever experienced.

Thanks to Captain Andrew (who all the while bid adieu to passengers as they exited the plane) and Captain Fred. Hopefully our paths will cross again, and maybe then I'll take you up on your generous offer of marriage services.

I'll be prepared next time.

Good night to all and to all a good flight!


Flight deck: potential suitor's right leg in the captains seat. Captain Fred to the right.
Hahaha.

The flight deck, sans wedding.

1 comment:

  1. First the bridal magazines appear. Than an offer to marry ... the moon and the stars are getting into alignment. =0)
    Love it. Good story!

    ReplyDelete