Celebrating Service!

365 Days of Service highlighted an act of service for every day of a full year!

365 encourages individuals to continue share an act of kindness observed, highlight an organization that's serving others, or recognize an individual that's doing good. Inspire good, share greatness, make a diffference - one day of service at a time. Submit your post to





Sunday, January 16, 2011

Granola Bars for the Road

When I started this blog, a good friend of mine kept telling me I had to blog about this. So here goes.

Living in LA, unfortunately, seeing individuals who are homeless is a daily occurrence. For years there was a man named Sam that lived caddy-corner of my apartment. Everyday I'd pass him by and my first apartment mate reminded me that if we have leftover food that would only go bad in our fridge, to remember Sam and offer him some food.

Everyday right before the on-ramp on my way to work, without fail, there is a man or a woman with a sign asking for help. The man on the corner today had a sign that said, "Will work. Don't do drugs or alcohol. Help - food, money, a smile. Have a nice day." I've started to notice that they sometimes bring a dog - please help me and my dog, their sign reads. Most signs are often concluded with a smile face on the box sign or a "God bless you."

I try to stay positive about helping while also remembering to be realistic - that just because their sign says they won't spend money on alcohol, who am I to know how they really spend their money?  And, I'll be honest, there have been times I look at them receiving money from the car in front of me and I wonder to myself if they make more money than a hard-working man or woman who works a minimum wage job. Really, it takes just 8 people to offer a single dollar bill within 60 minutes to make a "decent" earning. It doesn't seem too far-fetched standing in the busy intersection on-ramp of the busy Santa Monica Blvd. and the 405.

My solution: keep a stash of granola bars in the center console of my car. While I won't offer them money, a granola bar will help tide their hunger. I admit, I don't offer it to every person I see standing on this corner everyday but I do my best to be generous and do my little bit to try to help in a way I feel comfortable.

I try to be conscious of purchasing granola bars that offer substance and nutrition - nuts, fruit, protein, not just chocolate chips. And, when there's a sale on a special health bar I take advantage to change it up from the fruit and nut.

I realize that many people have different thoughts on how to help and safety must always be priority. While there are many ways to help -  offering loose change, purchasing a meal, handing a granola bar out the window when stopped at a red light - I've also heard that a simple smile acknowledging their presence is the most helpful of all.

No comments:

Post a Comment