Celebrating Service!

365 Days of Service highlighted an act of service for every day of a full year!

365 encourages individuals to continue share an act of kindness observed, highlight an organization that's serving others, or recognize an individual that's doing good. Inspire good, share greatness, make a diffference - one day of service at a time. Submit your post to





Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Share a recipe

When I want to eat a cookie I bake a cookie. Being a woman who has a bit of a sweet tooth directly after meals (including breakfast) ultimately this means I bake a lot of cookies. Chocolate chip oatmeal cookies are my fav!

This is my all-time go-to cookie. I can practically whip up a batch in less than 5 minutes. Well, I've never timed myself but I know I'm quick. I don't even need the recipe! And, for this love of chocolate chip oatmeal cookies I have Mom Foster to thank!

In college I was fortunate to be a suitemate of the one and only Ashley. Mom Foster, Ash's mom, would FedEx her specialty cookies to Ashley often. Lucky Ashley and lucky suitemates! I fell in love with these cookies at first bite. I knew we'd be connected forever.

Throughout college Mom Foster would make and FedEx these cookies. While Ashley and I moved into separate dorms and apartments throughout our college years, Mom Foster would still send the cookies and the best part, she'd put a little ziplock bag of cookies with my name on it. She knew how much I loved them and she was more than loving to always put some aside for me. Yup, I'm the luckiest.

Just after college I took a gigantic roadtrip across the country and one very important stop along our trip, the Foster's in Maryland. While they housed Tasha and I for a week while we toured D.C., my priority of this visit - make cookies with Mom Foster!

And dreams do come true. While there was so much to see in lovely D.C., I came away from this trip with my favorite cookies and the tool to have them as my own for the rest of my life: the recipe. I learned from the best when I learned from Mom Foster and she was so generous to me for sharing her recipe. She even gave me all the tips to chocolate chip oatmeal cookie perfection - a stick of butter and a stick of margarine, exactly what the top of the cookie must look like when taken out of the oven, and leaving the cookies on the pan for 4 minutes to cool, to name a few.

Now I can enjoy them forever - and forever I will! I do my best to pay it forward. Tomorrow I'm taking these cookies into the office where my co-workers have become very familiar and equally as grateful.

Thanks Ashley and thanks Mom Foster - for the cookies are one direct representation of your love! I remember this everytime I bake and enjoy.  

Please, share a recipe today!

No comments:

Post a Comment