Celebrating Service!

365 Days of Service highlighted an act of service for every day of a full year!

365 encourages individuals to continue share an act of kindness observed, highlight an organization that's serving others, or recognize an individual that's doing good. Inspire good, share greatness, make a diffference - one day of service at a time. Submit your post to





Monday, May 2, 2011

May Day

Since 1928, May 1st is May Day in Hawai'i. Every year on May 1st, the state of Hawai'i celebrates island culture - and Native Hawaiian culture specifically. It is also tradition that May Day is also Lei day in the islands where a "holiday" is celebrated around the making, giving, and receiving of lei.

Yesterday, with the lucky timing of arriving to the islands on May Day, I was gifted with this beautiful 3-strand crown flower lei from my aunty. Why I love this lei, you ask? First, I returned to the islands and was immediately immersed in the great island culture and celebration when given this lei. Second, my aunty greeted me right as I stepped to the baggage claim with this lei - and a big hug (traditionally given one with the other). Third, and my favorite, my aunty made this lei and made it completely with flowers from her backyard! A wonderful combination of aloha!

Hope everyone had a wonderful May Day! Thanks, Aunty, Uncle, and Leesh for making mine the best!

No comments:

Post a Comment